Sunday, May 17, 2009

More Stanley Cup Playoff Predictions – Round Three

Time for a third period comeback

On Sunday, May 17th, teams resume their quest for the drinking cup of Lord Stanley, thus entering the third round of the 2009 NHL Playoffs. This round, which features the four remaining teams, decides the winners of the Clarence S. Campbell Bowl (winning team from the West) and the Prince of Wales Trophy (winning team from the East). All of the series are best-of-seven. The first two games are played at higher ranked team's home, then two at the lower ranked team's ice. After that, they alternate venues. Using my hard-gained and great NHL knowledge, the following are my predictions for the third round of the NHL playoffs.



For the first round of the 2009 NHL playoffs I was 7/8 which gives me an amazing 87.5% accuracy. For the second round, however, I was 1/4, which gives me only 25% right. Overall, I am 8/12, which is still a respectable 75%.

Eastern Conference
4 Pittsburgh Penguins v. 6 Carolina Hurricanes
You know, I probably should just ignore the East entirely this time. Frankly, I am a West guy, with the Blue Jackets being my favorite team, and I clearly had no idea what I was talking about. I thought Boston would sweep Carolina and that the Penguins would fall in a hard fought battle to the Capitals. I was wrong, very, very wrong.
So, now I am stuck deciding between two teams that I have quickly learned about. The Hurricanes are a force to be reckoned with, as they have won two series as underdogs and seem to thrive when they should be down. However, they started falling against Boston after going up 3-1 in the series, and so I am a bit skeptical of their staying power. Pittsburgh, on the other hand, went up against a very good Washington team, and dominated them in the 7th game in DC. Crosby and Malkin were a force to be reckoned with on their own, and they can dominate anybody on the ice. Frankly, I have learned not to doubt these two, so I believe that...
Pittsburgh in 5

Western Conference
2 Detroit Red Wings v. 4. Chicago Blackhawks
Ahh the Red Wings, a team from up North and the defending Stanley Cup champs. After sweeping the Blue Jackets, the Wings found themselves up against the 8th seat in the West, but it took at a lot to beat them. Chris Osgood finally showed signs of cracking, and it might be time for the Red Wings to leave the playoffs. Chicago, on the other hand, Easily beat the Canucks and was the only team not to make it to a game 7. Having missed the playoffs for several years, and against their long-time original six rival, the Blackhawks are going to be searching for blood, and they will be looking for an early and easy win. This desire, along with the cracking Osgood, should result in...
Chicago in 5

No comments:

Redirect

You will be redirected shortly to our new website. If you are not redirected within 5 seconds please CLICK HERE!

Copyright Notice

(C) All articles, postings, images, etc. on this site are protected by relevant copyright law, unless otherwise specified. To use any original material in totality please ask for author permission.

(C) 2009, all rights reserved by whalertly.blogspot.com, Robert M. Barga, and all contributing authors.